Banner Ad

Ask the Resident (Sex) Advisor

The Resident Sex Advisor answers sex-related questions from college students

Dear RSA,
My boyfriend and I have sex multiple times a day. Sometimes my vagina hurts. Can you get something from having too much sex?
Jennie, Florida International Univ.

Yes, you sure can get something from having too much sex - a sore coochie! Seriously, the membranes in and around your vagina are delicate, and having frequent intercourse can irritate them. All the pounding, thrusting, and rubbing of the sex act can cause small abrasions and even some bruising of the tissue. The good news is that this heals quickly and does no lasting damage. If you feel minor pain only occasionally, this is probably just due to minor irritation and is a sign that you and Romeo need to give it a rest for a day or two.

However, while the irritation caused by frequent or rough intercourse doesn't cause disease in itself, it can set the stage for an infection. It's always important to use condoms, but even more so for you, because small tears in the vaginal lining are how HIV, Hepatitis C, and other blood-borne infections can make their way into the body. Also, irritation caused by intercourse can make you more vulnerable to vaginal infections or bladder infections. If you are experiencing frequent or painful urination, or vaginal pain or itching that lasts for more than a couple of days or is getting worse, you should consult a doctor. Also check to make sure that you are not having an allergic reaction to your partner's latex condoms, or lube or spermicidal jelly if you use it.

Incidentally, guys' dicks can also get sore from too much intercourse or masturbation - to the point where the skin becomes reddened, inflamed, and may even bleed. In most cases the irritation will go away on its own after a couple of days of abstaining.

How-to Articles:

Banner Ad

Sex Toys 101

Resident Sex Advisor Questions from Women

Resident Sex Advisor Questions from Men

Ask your sex questions

Name (optional):
Email (optional)::
My questions: